July 12, 1954Thiru Arooran Sugars Limited (TASL) was incorporated on July 12 / July 21, 1954 as a Public Limited Company with an objective of setting up a sugar factory at Vadapathimangalam, Thanjavur Dist. The Company was promoted by late Mr. V S Tyagaraja Mudaliar. The entire plant and machinery was imported from BMA in West Germany. The factory commenced commercial production in the year 1956 with a crushing capacity of 1200 tonnes of cane per day (TCD). The crushing capacity was expanded to 2000 TCD in the year 1974. Strong emphasis has also been given to cane development resulting not only in increased availability of cane, but also improvement in its quality through propagation of high sugar varieties.
1990, TirumandangudiWith a view to expand the crushing capacity and also effectively exploit the availability of abundant sugarcane in Thanjavur Dist, the Company set up a new mill in 1990 at Tirumandangudi, Papanasam Taluk, Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu with a crushing capacity of 2500 TCD. The Company has been making substantial investments to expand and diversify its operations in the areas of bagasse based cogeneration power plant and a distillery.
1993, DistilleryIn 1993 a Distillery of 60 kilo litres per day (KLPD) capacity was set up at Tirumandankudi, to process the molasses captively available from both the sugar mills.
1995, Cogeneration PlantIn November 1995, the Company commissioned a 18.68 MW Bagasse based Cogeneration plant at Tirumandangudi. Thus, from a single product (Sugar) Company in 1992, the Company has diversified its operations into Alcohol and Power Generation. In 2003 the activities under cogen power were spin off into a subsidiary, Terra Energy Limited.
1997, KollumangudiIn the year 1997 the Vadapathimangalam mill was relocated at Kollumangudi, Nannilam Taluk, Tiruvarur District and crushing capacity enhanced from 2000 TCD to 2500 TCD. A cogeneration power plant was set up with a capacity of 18.6 MW along side the sugar mill in the same year.
1998, 5000 TCDIn 1998 the Tirumandankudi mill capacity was expanded from 2500 TCD to 5000 TCD. As the Kollumangudi mill was crushing at sub optimal level, it was further shifted to A. Chittur, Virudhachalam Taluk, Cuddalore District, in the year 2003 and is operating in that location since then. The crushing capacity of the A.Chittur plant was expanded from 2500 TCD to 3500 TCD in the year 2008.
PROMOTERSThe Company was promoted by late Mr V S Tyagaraja Mudaliar in early fifties. The Company is managed by Mr R V Tyagarajan, Chairman and Managing Director, who is a Technocrat with extensive managerial experience of 37 years of which 8 years have been with a reputed Management Consulting Firm in the United States of America and the rest as Managing Director of this Company. He has also served as President of Indian Sugar Mills Association for three consecutive terms during 1987-88, 1988-89, and 2000-2002.
Board of Directors
Mr. R.V. TyagarajanThe Company is managed by Mr R V Tyagarajan, Chairman and Managing Director under the guidance of the Board of Directors. Mr R V Tyagarajan is in charge of the day to day management of the Company. He is a graduate in Chemical Engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology Chennai and a Master of Science in Management from the Sloan School of Management, M.I.T., in USA. He has been the Managing Director of the Company since 1982. During his stewardship, the Company has recorded excellent progress on all fronts.
Mrs Malathy Ram TyagarajanMrs Malathy Ram Tyagarajan is the promoter Director of the Company.
Shri V ThirupathiMr. Thirupathi is the Independent Director of the Company and has held senior executive positions at ICICI Limited.
Mr. R VijayaraghavanMr. R Vijayaraghavan is the Independent Director of the Company. He is an Advocate by profession and is a leading Income Tax Practitioner.